The fastest way to stop any device is to disconnect its power supply. A classical solution to the problem is the use of a UPS - a device with batteries intended to continue the computer operation after a power failure. UPSs usually keep working for 5 to 30 minutes after the main electric power is interrupted. Most important companies have an emergency diesel or gasoline generator that may provide operation for a practically unlimited period of time.
The strategy of Abilix Soft
Any device of ours - server, switch, router or network disk device:
- Has two separate power supplies;
- Any of them is supplied by a separate UPS;
- The connection of each UPS to our servers uses a separate fuse;
- There is a separate generator (or generators) for each UPS;
- Is monitored by a monitoring system intended to alert us in the event of power supply failure;
Where power supplies have any moving parts:
Unfortunately, this is not a panacea. Any of the hundreds of other components of a server may fail, which would also cause the system to crash.
We have respective solutions for these cases: